Travel

FOOD

Beauty

Daunt Books Marylebone London

by - 8:39:00 PM

 

As an avid book enthusiast, I was compelled to visit Daunt Books in Marylebone, London. 

Daunt Books, one of London's renowned independent bookstores, specializes in travel literature, making it the perfect destination for those seeking inspiration for their next journey. 

Established in 1990 by ex-banker James Daunt, the flagship store on Marylebone High Street occupies a charming Edwardian building adorned with long oak galleries, elegant skylights, and William Morris prints. The natural light filtering through the skylights illuminates the mezzanine, enhancing the ambiance. 

In 2010, Daunt Books embarked on a publishing venture, debuting with Saki's "Improper Stories" and continuing to revive numerous out-of-print titles alongside new publications. 

The historic section of the Marylebone store, completed in 1912, originally operated as an antiquarian bookshop named Francis Edwards, reputed to be the world's first purpose-built bookshop. Near the entrance to the travel gallery stands a large, walk-in safe, a relic from the past where costly tomes were once safeguarded.


When visiting Daunt Books, the most sought-after item is a tote bag. I was fortunate to receive one as a gift from a kind employee there, an unexpected and sweet gesture. Originally, I had planned to purchase one as a memento of my trip, so I was immensely thankful. Perhaps my accent gave away that I was a tourist. I opted for the smaller red tote bag, which I adore; it's beautiful. They are quite sturdy and available in two sizes. Daunt Books operates from 9 am to 7:30 pm Monday through Saturday, and from 11 am to 6 pm on Sundays.

Daunt Books has other locations at Cheapside, Holland Park, Hampstead, Belsize Park, and the Owl Bookshop in Kentish Town, with additional branches outside London in Essex, Marlow, and Oxford.

Directions to Daunt Books Marylebone:

The nearest station is Baker Street, followed by a brief ten-minute walk to Daunt Books.


We went in December and there was a beautiful Christmas tree set up. It makes the store even more beautiful. 

Check out the Daunt Book Website Here

Address 

Daunt Books
83-84 Marylebone High Street
London
W1U 4QW

Have you been to this beautiful bookstore?

Until next time.

xo


PIN IT



You May Also Like

9 Comments

  1. Such a gorgeous Edwardian building. I would love to visit this book store.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was so beautiful. Im so glad I got to visit.

      Delete
  2. I love traveling and reading!! Why have I not heard of this place??? Now it´s definately on my London bucket list!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had seen a lot about this beautiful book store before I went to London so it was on my list. Definitely a must see.

      Delete
  3. I love bookstores and this looks like such a fun one to visit! I’ll definitely have to add it to my bucket list.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The bag you received is such a sweet treasure. I love using those types of bags, stateside, for my grocery shopping. There are some lovely bookstores around the world. One in particular is in Porto, Portugal - Livraria Lello Bookstore.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Makes me so want to visit!

    ReplyDelete
  6. As an avid reader and traveler, I am deff adding this book shop on my trip to London next year. Thank you so much for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a quaint little book store! I'll have to check it out next time I'm in London

    ReplyDelete